Go to WiW on Battlelog
Connect to WiW TS3

It is currently Jun 14th, '21, 08:47

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: How to remove one particular topic from "Active Topics"-List
Unread postPosted: Mar 29th, '14, 15:52 
Commander
Commander

Everyone likes and dislikes certain things in life and one may prefer something what another don't.
It came to my mind recently to search for a solution of making the daily forum life easier - and I found out, that I am not the first one that looks for this particular problem.

First of all, let me try to explain my "problem" to you. You all are part of this community and we all are around here for years, but if you think the same way as I do you may have some certain topics here that you dont like so much or even wish to hide them from your eye - not because you dont like it but you don't want to see it every time an update has been made in this thread.

That's when the script I want to show you hops into screen. I found a script, which needs to be installed into an addon on firefox or chrome. This script adds an additional link in the thread view of the phpBB forum software so you can enable or disable particular threads to show up on the active topics and unread topics view or not.

On a normal thread the top menu line looks like this:
Attachment:
01.png
01.png [ 8.17 KiB | Viewed 3407 times ]

If you enable the script, it will look like this here:
Attachment:
02.png
02.png [ 7.7 KiB | Viewed 3407 times ]

You see whats changed? From this point you can follow or unfollow a thread which shows or hides the thread in the active topics (or unread posts" list.
Attachment:
05.png
05.png [ 16.15 KiB | Viewed 3407 times ]

The topics are still present, also their unread status is still there, the also show up on the subforum they are just hidden on the both recent topics or unread topics lists.

How to get it working?
First make sure you have the required Addon for Firefox or Chrome.
On Firefox get the Greasemonkey plugin: https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/a ... asemonkey/
On Chrome get the Tampermonkey plugin: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... fkfo?hl=de
I personally only use Firefox, but this should work the same or analog way for Chrome (I used Tampermonkey before on chrome, they plugin do the same - they both provide an Addon so you can install ANY user script available on userscripts.org).

When you got the plugin installed, you need the userscript (which is actually the thing that does the work).
The userscript modifies websites in realtime (with javascript). In this case, it adds an additional link to check or uncheck the following settings to any thread you like, and additionaly hides the unfollowed thread in the active or unread topics list.
The script is here: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/434537
Visit that website and hit the Install button on the top right side of the page.

The script was originally written by "Dusk Eagle" for another phpBB forum (lifein19x19.com) but license wise its allowed to modify and redistribute so I changed two lines to match the wakeislandwarriors.com domain so everyone can use the script without the need of having to modify it's source code at all.

I hope it's easy enough to understand for those who want to hide one or more threads that they think is not necessary to even see (maybe completely uninterested in that topic).

Post subject: Re: How to remove one particular topic from "Active Topics"-
Unread postPosted: Mar 29th, '14, 17:53 
Commander
Commander

There's an additional checkbox too to select followed and unfollowed threads (and complete subforums).
Attachment:
10.jpg
10.jpg [ 67.58 KiB | Viewed 3403 times ]

Attachment:
11.jpg
11.jpg [ 96.87 KiB | Viewed 3401 times ]

It's maybe not showing up instantly due to the browsers cache.

Post subject: Re: How to remove one particular topic from "Active Topics"-
Unread postPosted: Dec 6th, '14, 15:54 
Highest Forum Rank
Highest Forum Rank

sweet, good going with the tutorials mate :)

''We dont need members, and we aint like other clans who just take members on for numbers.''
BigG

The future influences the present just as much as the past.  ~Friedrich Nietzsche

One does what one is; one becomes what one does.  ~Robert von Musil, Kleine Prosa

Last bumped by freefallcid on Dec 6th, '14, 15:54.