Go to WiW on Battlelog
Connect to WiW TS3

It is currently May 28th, '22, 16:18

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Your profile and the forum looks explained
Unread postPosted: Oct 22nd, '13, 17:45 
Highest Forum Rank
Highest Forum Rank

Hello there and welcome to the new forum of the wake island warriors. Unlike the tutorial at the old forum this tutorial will focus only focus on 2 things: your profile and the forum looks. In this tutorial i will explain how to edit your profile using the User Control Panel and where you can find what on the forum, meaning i will only explain the looks of things. For an explanation on how to use the forums (PMs and posts) please use this tutorial.
To make it easier to find what your looking for i have added an index. So if your for example looking for info on Adding an image to your text you simply click on the text behind number 8 in the index and you will instantly go to that section :)

Index

Part 1: Forum looks

First things first, lets start by having a look at the main page.
As you can see on the picture the part above the actual forum has a lot of buttons and options but since these are profile related i will mention those later on.
For now lets focus on the 3 primary zones of the forum:
  1. The Public boards. This zone is divided into 5 parts: Join us, Banned?, Server & Clan Information, Introductions and General chat.
    Right under the section title you will see a short description of what you can expect here. Most of the descriptions give a clear enough explanation of what you can expect but there is one section i would like to discuss a little bit more.
    This would be the Server & Clan Information section (Green box). This section is in my eyes the most important part of the Public boards. Here you will find all information regarding our gameservers, teamspeak and you can use this section to ask about situations on the server (for example if the server crashes). Besides that there is a subforum called ''News''. here you will find regularly posted news articles that contain information about the clan, its members and other important things.
  2. Geek zone. Now this is the part where you go if you need help with anything. The Geek zone is divided into 3 parts; PC setups & help, Tutorials and Forum & Web feedback. Again the descriptions pretty much tell you what you can expect but there is 1 section i will highlight.
    That would be the tutorial section (blue box). Since you are reading this post you already found this section but the tutorial section will be the place to go if you are lost with the forum. A complete forum tutorial is at your disposal to guide you through everything. Other then this forum tutorial you can find tutorials on teamspeak, video editing programs and much more.
  3. Media. This place is divided into 2 sections: Music, Games & video and File zone. Descriptions explain what you can expect. I would like to add that the usages of the files inside the file zone is at your own risk, wiw takes no responsibility whatsoever if anything goes wrong.
If you become a clan member, or a recruit, more areas will open up to you.

Next lets have a look at the members of the forum. As you can see each member has different colors. The color represents the group they are in. We can identify the following groups:
  1. Site Member. This is basically what you become if you register.
  2. =WiW= Recruits. This is the group for people that are on a trial to become a member of the =WiW= clan.
  3. =WiW= Clan member. This is the group for members of the =WiW= clan.
  4. =WiW= Server Admin. This is the group for server admins of the =WiW= clan.
  5. =WiW= Main Server Admin. This is the group for the head admins of the =WiW= servers.
  6. =WiW= Recruiter. This is the group for the recruiters of the =WiW= clan.
  7. =WiW= Global Forum Moderators. This is the group for the forum moderators of the =WiW= clan.
  8. =WiW= Administrators. This is the group for the =WiW= clan leaders.
  9. =WiW= Honorary Members. This is the group for the old =WiW= members. Within this group we have honorary members and veterans: veterans are mostly ex-moderators. Note that this is a special group. The moderators will decide who joins this group and who don't.

Once you have arrived at a section of the forum, in this case the General Chat section, you will see a list of all topics. As you see there are different kinds of topics:
The first topics (with the red 1) are the announcements. You will always find these topics at the top. Announcements can be global or just for a specific section. In this case the topic is a global announcement. These global announcements are visible in every single section of the forum. Normal announcements on the other hand are only visible in the section they are posted. Announcements always contain the most important info of a section.
The topics under the announcements are the sticky topics (the red 2). Just like normal announcements these topics are only visible in the section they are posted in. These topics contain other important information. Typical of a sticky is that it will always stay at the top of the list of posts.
The topics under the sticky topics are the normal topics (the red 3). These topics can contain everything. If a new post has been made in one of the topics the icon will appear red.
Note: as a normal user you can only post normal topics. To turn your topic into a sticky topic or a (Global) announcement please contact a forum moderator or moderator. These will have a look at the topic and decide if the topic will be made into one.

This will be as far as we go forum look wise, all other things fit more in the actual forum usage tutorial.

Part 2: Your profile

Alright its time to have a look at your very own forum profile and what you can do with it. We will start at the top left and from there on move to the bottom right. Note: New messages (orange box), Mini-Chat (red box) and User control Panel will be explained last due to the fact that these three options are connected.
One last note: I will not explain ACP or Moderator control panel as these are admin functions and do not apply to normal users.

• First up is the Logout option. I doubt i need to explain this, simply click it and you will log out.
  • After that comes FAQ. By clicking FAQ you will be redirected to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) area. Click on the question you have and you will be shown a short explanation/solution.
  • Next comes the search button. Here you can search through the forum sections for posts made by specific users. By adjusting the options you can specify your search. For example: If we would enter Battlefield in the Search for Keywords box, then mark the search Topic Titles only and press submit a list will pop up with all topics that have ''battlefield'' in their topic title.
  • After that comes the Members button. By pressing this list you will get a complete list of all registered members of this forum. You can adjust the list by clicking on one of the options (blue box): this will sort the list acceding or descending based on what you clicked. Inside the red box is the search option (in the screen i already clicked on ''find member''). This will give you the option to search for a user based on several things. Simply adjust the search options to find the person your looking for.
  • Now if we go back to the left and start looking at the second line we will find the option called view unanswered post. Clicking this will give you a list of topics that have 0 reactions.
  • Right next to that is the option to bring up a list of active topics, View active topics. Active topics refers to topics that have been replied to in the last few days
  • If we go further to the right we see the option View unread posts. This option would display a list of topics with 0 views. Note that this list is empty most of the times, cause everyone views topics.
  • After that comes the View New posts option. Essentially its the same as the view active topics option.
  • Last comes the View your posts. Clicking this will bring up a list of the posts you made on the forum

User control Panel

Lets start by clicking on the User Control Panel (UCP). Lets explain things step by step, from the top to the bottom. As you can see now there are 2 orange boxes and 2 red boxes, they are both for messages and the chat. Therefore they are related.
  1. First up is the overview tab. This tab is the starting point if you click on the UCP. It will always start by showing you the most important announcements (global announcements) and your forum statistics.
    • If we move 1 line down you will see the option ''Manage Subscriptions''. This is the place where you will get a complete list of the topics you subscribed to. To cancel your subscription simply mark the box, scroll down and press unwatch marked. For more info regarding subscribing to a topic please view this tutorial.
    • Next up is the bookmark option. This is works the same as the above mentioned subscription. For more info regarding bookmarking a topic please view this tutorial.
    • After that comes the Draft option. Basically a draft is a save file of a topic that isnt posted, meaning its unfinished. For more info regarding creating a draft please view this tutorial. Once you created the draft you have 2 options: Load draft and View/edit. If you choose Load draft you will continue to make the post, once you posted it your draft will automatically be deleted. If you choose View/edit you will be shown the current draft and can edit the post, editing means you wont post it. Of course you can also select the option to delete the draft.
    • Last up in the overview tab is the Manage attachments option. Here you will be shown a list of all files (attachments) you uploaded to the forum. As you can see in the picture the list shows you the file size and the amount of times the file has been downloaded. To delete a file simply mark the delete box, scroll down and press delete marked.

2. Next up is the Profile tab. Here you can customize all your publicly displayed profile settings. Please keep this in mind: anything you enter here (e-mail for example) is visible to the public!
    • First is the edit profile option. Here you can enter contact details (messenger for example), your occupation and enter your birthday.
      NOTE: for these changes you have to answer the anti spam questions at the bottom. All this information is visible on your profile page (see last screen for result)
    • After that comes the edit signature option. Here you can edit your signature, this will be displayed at the bottom of each forum post you make. Editing a signature works the same way as making a forum post.
    • Right after the signature option we have the edit Avatar option. There are 2 options to add an avatar. First is to use an image on your computer. If you want to use this option go for the second line that says upload from your machine. Press ''select file'', select the file, upload it and press submit. If you want to use a avatar from a website simply copy and paste the URL into the field next to ''Link off-site'' and press submit. To change the size of your avatar simply change the numbers in the avatar dimension field.
    • The last option on the Edit profile tab is to edit your account settings. Here you can changed the e-mail address and password you use.

In the end the details you entered through these options will look like this on your profile:

3. The third tab is the Board preference tab.
    • First up is the Edit Global settings option. Most of the options are quite clear so i will only add a few notes to this one. First up is the top option: if you set ''Users can contact me by e-mail'' to yes this means your e-mail will be made public so carefully consider what you want to do here. If you select ''Hide my online status'' you wont be listed as a visible user (registered or guest) but as a hidden user.
    • After that comes the Edit posting defaults option. I personally recommend to keep the first 3 settings to yes, you might experience weird posts if you change them. The last option is something you have to decide for yourself: if you change it the option to yes you will receive an e-mail for every new post that has been made in a topic you created or reacted to.
    • The last option of the Board preference tab is the Edit display options. Again i would like to recommend to keep all options to yes, setting them to no results in weird looking posts.

4. The fourth tab is the private message tab.
    • If you enter the messages tab through the UCP you will start at the option ''Compose message''. Here you can create the message you want to send. Creating a message works the same way as making a post. For more info on how to create a post please use this tutorial. The big box on the top right is where you enter the username. If you press Add [To] (blue box) that will be the main receiver. If you want to send a message to more then one user simply type in another name in the box and press Add [BCC] (Green box).
    • If you would have entered the message tab through the ''message'' (orange box) at the top you would have started at the inbox. This is the place where all your received messages end up by default. The number behind your inbox indicates the amount of unread messages. If you scroll down to the bottom you will have the option to move marked messages to the Saved messages box.
    • After the inbox comes the saved messages option. Here you will find all messages that you wanted to save (important messages).
    • Next is the Outbox. This is the opposite of the Inbox. here you will find the messages you send to people before they read it. The number behind the outbox indicated the amount of messages that you have sent and have yet to be read.
    • If a message you sent has been read it will end up in this option: the sent messages options.
    • The Manage PM drafts option is basically the same option as the draft option from the overview tab only in this case we are talking about PMs instead of topics/posts.
    • The last option on the Private messages tab is the Rules, folders and settings option. Here you can rename folders, create more folders or delete folders for your PMs.

5. The fifth tab is the Usergroups tab.
    • First is the option to edit memberships. Basically you can decide to join a group (if possible) or leave a group (if possible). Although this means you can, theoretically, leave a group you are a member of i do NOT recommend this way. If you want any changes to your usergroup ask a administrator.
    • The last option of the Usergroup tab is the option to manage groups. Since this is reserved to moderators i will not explain this :P

6. The sixth tab is the Friends & Foes tab.
    • The first option is to Manage friends. Here you can add users you consider friends. Its purely for looks of things and doesnt hold a real function. Simply enter the username in the field and press submit. If done correct the friend will appear at the left side (blue box)
    • The last option is to manage foes. It works the exact same way as friends, only thing is that foes wont be listed.

7. The seventh and last tab is the mChat tab.
    • There is only 1 option: preferences. Here you can choose if you want the chat to appear on the main page or not and edit other chat options. If you choose to let the chat appear on the main page it will look like the second screen. Regardless of what you choose you can always go to the mini-chat by pressing the mini-chat button (red box) and it will take you to the mini-chat (3rd screen)

Part 3: I still have a question

If you still have a question regarding your profile or the forum looks feel fee to reply to this topic or contact me somewhere.
For questions related to how to use these forums please use this tutorial.

Hope it helps you guys to get used to the new forum :up:

''We dont need members, and we aint like other clans who just take members on for numbers.''
BigG

The future influences the present just as much as the past.  ~Friedrich Nietzsche

One does what one is; one becomes what one does.  ~Robert von Musil, Kleine Prosa

Post subject: Re: Your profile and the forum looks explained
Unread postPosted: Oct 22nd, '13, 18:04 
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2

Thanks for this informative post mate. Its looking good. Will read it fully tonight again to insure i know how to use the forums.
Thank you

Post subject: Re: Your profile and the forum looks explained
Unread postPosted: Oct 22nd, '13, 23:36 
Major
Major

fucken hell niels ^^ .....fantastic job ! :clap:

amazing post

a good tutorial for someone like me ( :? )